Monday, August 26, 2013

Diy Monday- rustoleum countertop paint project!

After seeing various blogs about trials and errors with this product, I decided to give it a try. It looked easy enough and I actually like paint projects so it didn't scare me! So day 1 was prepping and the first coat. I am really hoping I only have to do one coat since the laminate was a light blue. I assume if your countertop is dark it may take two. Which would be super stinky, no pun intended. I purchased the countertop paint from Home Depot and they can tint it to 16 lovely shades. I went with Cobblestone which is a neutral grey/beige.

Must haves-

-Fine grit sanding block to lightly smooth the laminate

-small smooth roller ( kitchen and bathroom size )

- small plastic paint tray

- small foam brush for corners and sides

- breathing mask. Ok this is optional, but it smells STRONG. Like an epoxy paint smell.

- frog tape for taping around sink and fixtures

- Rustoleum countertop coating of choice. It's around 20 bucks... Not bad considering you don't have to replace the whole countertop.

Follow the directions just as it says and you should have a lovely more modern looking countertop!


The only down side is it has to dry for 72 hours. Aack. I closed the door and opened the window and put a fan on for some circulation. Don't leave the door open or your bedroom will smell like paint fumes.

I' ll let you know how it turns out! It already looks so much better! That baby blue flecked laminate was killing me!

Good luck! :)

Oooooo honey. That is ugly. 


Mom. That stinks!

Much better!!!!!!
I really love the color and its drying great! 























3 comments: